Figment Chapter 12: Big Boss



"R-Rain? What is the meaning of this?!" I demand, narrowing my eyes at him.

Rain scoffs and brushes the sleeve of his black suit. I look at him from head to foot. Formal attire suits him well but that blank facial expression has stunned me.

"Really lady? Look closer," Rain says. He walks toward me and crouches down so that we are at eye level with each other.

Boss Wung enters the door, followed by the other three whom he soon ushered out before slamming the door in their faces.

"Big Boss," Wung guy says, looking serious.

Rain ignores him. His eyes travel from my face to my chest. I brace my chest self consciously. Rain draws his eyes back on mine again.

"Look closer lady," Rain repeats.

I spat at him, "I have a name you asshole! Let me out of here!"

He gives me a cold smile and stands up. He looks at his wristwatch with calculated movement before turning to me once again, "Call me Big Boss. If you need anything, ask."

"Then let me free!" I yell.

"But being free is not what you need," he counters before turning his back on me.

I give him a look full of spite. What happened to him? Why does he sound different? The way he walks and carries himself with such authority, even the way he speaks and the tone of his voice, are different.

"Wung. We're moving out. You know what to do," Rain says. Boss Wung nods. He waits until Rain is out of the door before turning his eyes on me.

He reaches for his pocket and withdraws a syringe. My eyes widen. The colorless liquid doesn't look reassuring at all.

No.

"What are you doing to me?! No! Please!" I plead. I try to remove his hand from pinning me on the bed but my struggle is futile.

"Quiet!"

Suddenly, I feel a sharp, stinging sensation in my arm. My vision becomes blurry, my struggles weak. I can barely move my body. There's a light buzz in my ears.

He puts a piece of cloth over my eyes. I can feel him tying the scrap beneath my head. Boss Wung scoops me up and transfers me to what appears like a wheelchair. It is taking all my energy to keep my head upright.

He opens the door and then pushes the wheelchair. As we go, we pass through piles of plywood and rusty old machines. The ceiling is black with soot and the floor has accumulated an inch of dust. They brought me to an old warehouse. I think vaguely.

I wonder where they are going to bring me next.

***



I wake up to a comfortable feeling of warmth and softness. I open my eyes blearily to find myself in another unfamiliar room. It looks cozy and welcoming. Was I rescued?

"You're awake. I'm relieved," says a man I have never seen before. He looks like he's in his 50's, with graying hair and a fatherly smile on his face.

"Who are you?" I blurt out before I can help it. I have been meeting random people lately.

He smiles before answering, "Call me Father Jung. I'm the father of Storm. I'm sure you've met him a while ago. And Rain, whom you've met even earlier."

Who? I frown. I want to ask a lot of things but I feel like all the energy has been sucked out of me.

"I had the maids prepare food for you. Storm told me you didn't eat your food in the warehouse."

 I decide not to open my mouth to speak. Just listen.

"I am so sorry of how they treated you earlier. Don't worry. Those people already got what they asked for. I told them to handle you carefully. After all, it was a rescue mission," he says genially.

My frown deepens. I was rescued? Again?

So everyone wants to play superhero, huh? Why can't they just let me be?! I keep my mum and just continue staring at Father Jung. Judging by his appearance, he looks like a family guy with a lovely wife and adorable children. He gives off an aura of a dad whom you can go to when things go wrong in your life and he will offer you words of wisdom. But then again, maybe I'm just not looking close enough.

It's too early to trust these people. Right now, I don't know who the bad and good guys are.

But then again, maybe they are all bad.

The door opens and we both turn to look at the intruder. He is holding a tray of food.

"Ah, son. Perfect timing. I'm just about to leave. I have a meeting with the board scheduled in ten minutes. I should go," Father Jung says.

He stands up and with a fatherly smile, says, "Hye Kyo this is Storm. Storm, take care of our guest Hye Kyo here. Make her feel at home."

"Sure thing, dad," Storm replies with a dazzling smile, setting the tray at the foot of the bed. He reaches for my hand and kisses it. I wince internally, and a feeling of deja vu washes over me. I don't trust my mouth to speak so I decide that it's better to keep it closed. He looks so handsome when he smiles.

After Father Jung left, I turn to Rain, thinking that it's finally safe to speak, "Why did he call you Storm, Rain? And where is this place? What happened to Joong Ki?"

But I was taken aback for he is suddenly back to his impassive expression, "Don't call me Rain again, lady. I am Storm. Subordinates call me Big Boss. Joong Ki's dead. Finish your food in fifteen minutes and I will tour you around the estate."

He turns to leave but I call out, feeling that I can no longer contain all the information I have been given.

"I don't understand, Rain. Explain to me, please."

"Rain... He's a twin brother I have forgotten a long time ago. It's best if you forget someone who's dead, too."

Stunned with what I heard, I fail to make another response.

"Fifteen minutes," Storm says before getting out of the door.

So much for feeling at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram