Figment Chapter 1: Stares



The morning is foggy outside my window. I look at my clock and it reads 5 in the morning. Grunting, I try to go back to sleep, vaguely wondering what woke me up so early. I have a dreadful feeling that someone is watching me but the fatigue brought by last night overwhelms my senses and I fall asleep almost immediately.

I open my eyes, feeling a bit groggy. I had to study for the year-end examination last night and had to finish all the reports and requirements in every subject. Despite my tired feeling, the prospect of finally graduating from high school is enough to lighten up my mood.

Two weeks. Just two more weeks.

I wash up and get ready for school, hoping that this day will be better than the last, wherein I had to deal with the insults and sniggers from the school elites.

If it wasn't for the scholarship, I would never have dreamed of entering this school. Sometimes, I can't believe that I have endured everything for 6 years. At this thought, I kiss the pendant of my necklace, my lucky charm, the only possession I have to remind me that at some point in time, I had parents.

The school is just a few blocks away from where I live. I am able to scrape a living by taking three jobs in our neighborhood: gasoline girl at night, dishwasher on weekends, and a student aide for the rest of the days.

Grabbing the folders of requirements I have prepared the night before, I chug a glass of water and head out of the door. It is just another one of those no-breakfast-mornings.

At 7 o'clock, our neighborhood is starting to look busy. Men and women in their work clothes are rushing past, grooming their children for school, shouting instructions.

I feel an arm snake around my shoulders. I don't have to look to know whose it is.

"Hey Song Hye Kyo. You ready for the exams? Let me copy, will you?"

I smile a fake smile at the owner of the voice, "On one condition Hyun Bin."

"Lunch is on me for a week," he says. It has always been a deal. At least it will be a week of no worrying about lunch.

Hyun Bin has been the only friend I have. Perhaps it is because we live in the same neighborhood, or that we are both working at the gasoline station at night (although he doesn't really need to). Or maybe it is because I am the only one who laughs at his silly jokes. I really cannot tell.

All I can remember is he was the only kid who befriended me, despite his parents' disapproval. All the other kids were forewarned not to approach the "orphaned girl" as well and were either too repulsed to do otherwise or too frightened of me to even try. After all, I wasn't exactly that good of a sight to look at.

Even to this day. I mutter, as a passing black car shows me my reflection.

Hyun Bin's hand brushes my hair before tucking a stray lock underneath my ear.

"You're beautiful, you know. Stop pulling yourself down."

My heart skips a beat. Hyun Bin has always been able to read me like an open book. He knows when I need encouragement even before I realize it myself. I like it when he is showing his caring side but it makes me feel uncomfortable. And vulnerable. I take deep breath to steady myself.

As we enter the school, I notice that the atmosphere is different. It makes me feel excited and anxious at the same time. The students rush past, greeting each other good morning. I stand there, invisible to everyone else.

Tomorrow will be my 18th birthday. I don't even feel excited. My birthdays have generally been quite uneventful.

The hours pass by in a blur. The morning half of the examination has turned out nicely. Before I know it, I am already waiting in line in the cafeteria with Hyun Bin.

"Do you know that guy?" Hyun Bin asks.

"Who?" I ask, looking around.

"That guy in the corner," Hyun Bin says.

Not wanting to be caught staring, I turn around and bend over, pretending to do my shoelaces.
The guy is wearing a white shirt and a pair of decent-looking jeans. He looks clean, not one of the elites but not like me either. Somewhere in the middle, I think. He looks familiar, like someone I have seen before, but not someone I really know.

"Nope," I answer, not wanting to wonder about stupid things.

We look for a vacant table and settle ourselves there. I immediately help myself to some cup cakes. I feel the strange sensation again, like someone is staring at me. I suddenly feel cold. I look around me again, searching for an explanation. Everyone is busy with their own businesses.

Someone approaches our table. It's Kim Ji-Won, one of those pompom girls. Needless to say, one of those elites. She looks as bored as ever.

"Can I help you?" I ask.

She looks down at me, shoves a stack of paper in my hands, and says, "Give this to Mr. Kang of the Science department. It's my research project."

Student aide duties.

"Okay," I say, not wanting to start a fight. I'm in no position to, anyway. Kim Ji-Won walks away, her short skirt showing the back of her long legs. I snort in disgust. I hate to admit it but she has everything I could ever ask for. If I were her, I wouldn't be mean to the world. I would have no reason to.

I tilt my head a little and I notice that the guy Hyun Bin told me about is gone. Convinced that I am having exam jitters, I finish my food and ask Hyun Bin to go back to classroom with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram