Understanding Him: Chapter 6



Forewords | Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4 | Chapter 5 | Chapter 6

"The budget proposal for the training of athletes was already approved," Pres Raymond informed us.

"Good thing. It took me a while to do it. Lots of things to include in the expenses," said Cheska, the org treasurer.

We watched as the others went out of our org's office to take their lunch. The three of us, Kyla, Karl and I, decided to stay.

The chatter of our org mates was dying away and the mechanical sound of the photocopying machine was the only source of noise. We were doing the necessary preparations for the International Humanitarian Law celebration this weekend.

I put the registration form I printed in the photocopying machine, keyed in the number of copies we needed and hit start.

"I still think that it's number 29," Kyla started. She never let the issue rest. She stood up to unplug her laptop charger from the socket.

"Akala ko ba tapos na tayo diyan?" I replied.

"Girl, you don't let an issue rest when it isn't resolved yet," she said, looking at me from under her lashes.

Over the past days, we had speculated on who the mystery person was who kept on leaving full donation cans in the org's office, complete with a note addressed to Elle. We finally worked out that there's no other Elle in the office. So it was basically addressed to me.

Since hindi naman makakapasok dito ang hindi org member because we lock the door when there's no one inside, we agreed na may inside job. That maybe someone was helping this person to sneak the donation can inside the office.

"I still think it's Kirby," said Kyla again.

I sighed to myself. Kyla was one persistent girl.

"It's not him. It's impossible," I said in a monotone. I lost count of the number of times I had emphasized this matter to her.

In the first place, bakit naman niya gagawin yun? He had basketball, classes and his girlfriend to occupy his free time. He wouldn't be able to slip such gimmick in his schedule.

"How so?" asked Kyla.

"That dude has a girlfriend besh. Ano ka ba? I've told  you that repeatedly."

Paulit-ulit kong in-explain kay Kyla pero she wouldn't rest her case. She was still into her theory that Number 29 didn't really love his girlfriend. Which, in my opinion, was utter nonsense. I mean, why would he even bother to do such a thing? No matter how hard I thought about it, Kyla's assumptions were illogical.

"But he pushed his girlfriend away and rejected her help. Pero he didn't hesitate to open up to you. Bakit kaya, sa tingin mo?" Kyla asked.

Illogical but not baseless. I found myself conceding grudgingly.

"Don't expect me to know the answer. We all know he's bipolar," I answered. May dalawang personality yung mokong na yun. Bigla-bigla na lang nag eexplode and bumabait.

"Well, the answer is obvious. He thinks that you will understand him. That you will be able to help him. That he can trust you and count on you," Kyla explained. Her voice was calm, like we were just discussing something as normal as the weather. She continued, "You are the exact opposite of his girlfriend. You're not high maintenance. And you listen."

Yes I was not high maintenance. And I did listen to him. But it wasn't like I had any other choice. He caught me eavesdropping. At least he didn't get mad at me. And I was following him to his car before I could even begin to process what I was doing. Then suddenly, he was opening himself up to me in Baywalk!

Francine may be high maintenance but they looked so good together. She was sophisticated and she looked genuinely concerned about Number 29. It wasn't her fault that the dude was too conceited to notice.

"Exactly. I'm the exact opposite of Francine. Pati sa hitsura," muttered, then turned to look at Kyla in the eyes, "So you have to stop your assumptions."

"I didn't know that Kirby's being a melodramatic is contagious." Kyla teased me cheekily, then turned her attention back to the module she was transcribing for the PowerPoint presentation.

I rolled her eyes at her. "Tama na nga yan," I said.

But apparently Kyla was too much into this issue to give it a rest. Instead of being silent, she turned to Karl, who was making the tarpaulin designs. He had his talents in computers. "What about you? ano sa tingin mo?" Kyla asked Karl.

Karl shrugged, not taking his eyes from his laptop. "I don't think it's Kirby. For one thing, tingin kayo sa bintana," he said.

We did as he instructed. And before our very eyes was quite a display. We watched as Francine and Kirby, sitting in one of the benches in the school garden, get lost in their own little world of giggles and sweet talks.

"Anong ginagawa ni Francine dito? Wala namang pasok ah," Kyla asked no one in particular.

"What kind of question is that?" asked Karl. "Of course she's here to support her Kirby. Lunch break ng team from training so she gets to spend some time with him. It seems like he's doing exactly as Dan advised," he explained.

I gazed at the pair silently. A part of me was proud that Number 29 took my advice but deep inside, there was a tiny part which felt... different. The thought of that feeling scared me so instead of exploring it, I tuned it out.

I cleared my throat. "That's nice. Marunong rin pala siyang makinig."

I collected the photocopied forms and piled them up in a folder. When the photocopying machine finished its job, a ringing silence suddenly filled the office.

So what if they were displaying their feelings for all those around them to see? They were in a relationship, and being sweet with each other is perfectly normal, if not expected. And he heeded my advice. Shouldn't I feel proud of myself?

Wait. What am I talking about? I AM proud of myself!

I looked up and caught Kyla staring at me with calculating gaze.

"What?" I asked, raising my brows inquiringly.

Kyla shook her head, "Nothing." Then she smiled at me toothily. "Dahan-dahan naman sa folder. Gusot na eh," she said.

Gusot na nga ang folder. I put it in one of the drawers, making sure that I could remember where I put it for later use. Sitting opposite Kyla, I made sure that I was out of view from the window.

"So... if hindi si Kirby that leaves us with no other contender," Kyla said.

"Who?" asked Karl.

Kyla snorted in exasperation.

"Duh? Justice!"

My heartbeat quickened almost instantaneously. The thought of Justice doing those efforts for me were enough to throw all rational thoughts out of the window.

"But how would he do that?" asked Karl.

Kyla shrugged. "I still haven't figured it out. But I will," she declared determinedly. Kyla and her love for mysteries.

"I'm starving. Kain muna tayo," I told them. I hadn't eaten breakfast and it was already one in the afternoon. Sana naman may natira pang pagkain sa cafeteria. The other two nodded their heads eagerly. Nakakagutom talaga kapag busy ang utak sa kaiisip.

We went to the cafeteria together, making sure to lock the door of the office before we left. The school was strangely silent during weekends. Only the athletes and student organizations were usually present. Sometimes, students who were working on projects and research could be seen in benches and lobbies where the WiFi signal was strong. Now that midterm exams were finished, the benches under the trees and lobbies of buildings were clear of students.

Thankfully, may natirang pang pagkain para sa amin. After naming umorder ng pagkain, we sat at the table near the window kung saan may ceiling fan. It was our favorite spot and pinag-aagawan siya dahil nga easy access palabas and hindi masyadong mainit. Now that there were few students, wala kaming kaagaw.

Nilagyan ko ng kalamansi ang ginisang monggo at saka hinalo.

"Eew besh. Bakit mo nilalagyan ng kalamansi ang ginisang monggo?" Kyla inquired. She leaned away from me. She was sitting opposite Karl and I, her nose wrinkled in disgust.

"It's not like it's your first time to see me do it," I said.

"Right. But I'm still not over it. You have a weird taste," she asserted, shaking her head. She put three sticks of fried potatoes in her mouth, closing her eyes to savor the taste.

"Wala kang makukuha diyan. Lahat lang carbs,"said Karl. He was always the health guru in our group. In every meal, complete siya ng go, grow at glow foods.

"None of your business," snapped Kyla.

"Guys look!" Karl gasped, displaying his phone in front of us. He practically shoved it very close to my face that I had to lean back a little.

"Ano ba yan?" tanong ni Kyla, looking at Karl as if he was a nutcase.

"Uh. It's a new pen invention. So cool! You can just scan the color out of any object tapos yung color na yun ang lalabas sa pen!" he explained, urging us to see the video posted on Facebook.

It's a cool invention, really. Great for those such as Karl na artistic. But no matter what kind of diversion he did to distract me, something made me look straight ahead. My eyes seemed to be magnetized for a reason and it landed on a couple intimately cuddling with each other, facing us. The girl's head rested on the guy's shoulder.

Number 29 looked up and caught me looking. Immediately, as if by reflex, I did what I had practiced for a long time in preparation for such embarrassing situations. I immediately looked behind him, to his right, out of the window and behind me, as if looking for someone para hindi halatang tinititigan ko siya.

I wasn't expecting anyone.

I swear.

But when I looked behind me, my hero came. Justice waved his hand and started towards us. I swallowed hard. He looked strikingly attractive with his training uniform on and a white towelette in around his neck. He was wearing a tight black shirt beneath his jersey and his muscles were so distinct he looked so manly. And his eyes. I could get lost to those beautiful eyes forever. The bruise on his right cheek was very faint now but I could still see it. Suddenly, there was an urge inside me to reach out and touch that cheek.

Before I knew it, he was already sitting beside Kyla, facing me, blocking my view of the sickeningly sweet couple a few tables away.

"Hey guys. I hope you don't mind me sharing a table with you," he said, addressing Kyla and Karl.

Karl remained silent. I couldn't tell what he was thinking. Kyla shook her head, "Oh not at all. Don't worry about it. Actually, we are done eating and Karl and I need to finish something for an upcoming org activity." With that, she dragged an unsuspecting Karl with her out of the cafeteria. I didn't even get to react. I remained rooted on my seat, seething at how Kyla had deserted me!

"So, you're done eating too?" asked Justice.

I nodded. Hindi ba obvious? My plate's already clear of food.

"Can you join me? It's no fun eating alone. Break namin from training and my teammates went out to eat," he explained.

"Why didn't you join them, then?" I asked him.

"Nah," he said, shaking his head, a mysterious smile on his lips.

I debated whether to run away or to stay. He was making my heart palpitate and I didn't know how to react. But seeing the look on Number 29 made me pick the latter decision. I didn't know why it was important for me to make Number 29 see me with Justice but I didn't question the strong urge. Glaring at the couple, I nodded at Justice, smiling sweetly, "Sure."

Justice's diet was a complete set of the three food groups, except that his serving of meat was thrice that of Karl's. I understood that they needed protein for their muscles. And his muscles were anything but underdeveloped. But he didn't look buff like a bouncer. He looked like a magazine model. And he could trounce the local actors in looks anytime.

He wiped the sweat from his forehead and from the back of his neck. Looking up at me, he grinned sheepishly. "Sorry. Fresh from training. I sweat a lot after the drills. I hope I don't disgust you," he said.

Disgust me? Ang bango niya kaya kahit pawisan siya!

"No... no it's fine. I understand," I said blandly. Ang hina ko talaga kahit kailan pagdating sa small talks. Actually, I knew how to have small talks with anyone except this guy in front of me. Why did he have to be so perfect he made me speechless?

Not that I'm complaining. I'd pick Justice over Number 29 and his crappy, whining shits any day.

When he's done eating, he looked at me, "So what are you doing here in a weekend?"

Finally, a topic I could talk about without stuttering like I'm demented.

"Just some org stuffs. We have to prepare for the International Humanitarian Law Celebration next Saturday," I explained.

He squinted his eyes, as if thinking deeply. "This Saturday?" he repeated. "What time will the celebration be?" he asked.

"It starts at one in the afternoon and will end at six. In fact everyone is invited to attend. I hope you can make it. I promise it will be worth it," I said. I wanted him to attend. Imagine Justice Damon Rivera attending the IHL celebration with us!

"Hmmm. Sorry I have some stuffs to do," he muttered, sounding apologetic. Oo nga pala. Baka magsusulat pa siya ng speech niya. Pero knowing how intelligent he is, I knew that he could cook up an impromptu speech without any difficulty.

I nodded solemnly and said, "I understand."

"Well, will you be free after that?" he asked.

I thought for a moment about my schedule. After the event, I would have to pack up. It would take at least an hour.

"Nah. Just packing up after the event and then I would head home," I said.

"Great! So will you be my partner for the varsity victory night?"

I choked in my own saliva. Me? The partner of the volleyball MVP in the victory night?

"What?!"

I must be hallucinating...

"Be my partner in the victory night. It would start at 8 in the evening so you would have at least an hour to prepare," he explained. His eyes twinkling, a boyish smile was plastered in his handsome face.

I heard a snorting, derisive sound somewhere in the cafeteria, the screeching of chairs as someone left their seat and the opening of doors. But they were all but vague, distant sounds compared to the loud pounding of my heart.

The partner of Justice Damon Rivera, MVP, mens volleyball team captain... Even in my wildest dream, I dared not venture that far because I knew that it was impossible. And now he was asking me to be his partner. I couldn't keep up with the sudden turn of events. I used to be just a medic, admiring him from afar, from my station at the corner of the court.

"Why me?" I just really had to ask.

I needed to know his reasons for choosing me. Who knows? He might be playing a prank on me. But he couldn't be. My subconscious thought. Justice was too kind to play a prank that would hurt any girl's feelings by raising their hopes up to the heavens and suddenly leaving them crashing down to earth.

"What do you mean why you? It's more like why not?" he answered.

My heart did somersaults. He always knew what to say. He had a way with his words that could make any girl melt right there and then. And his eyes... I couldn't think straight while looking at them.

I looked down at my lap where I was twisting my hands self consciously.

"Uh... I don't have anything to wear," I said truthfully, my voice almost inaudible.

I had always been rather confident in my boyish clothes, more so with a baseball cap to hide my eyes when need arises. However, Justice could easily make my confidence come tumbling down; could make me want to feel attractive, be attractive for him. But I knew that my name and the word attractive in the same sentence would be an oxymoron. And there's the fact that I didn't have money to spare for new clothes.

"You could wear a sweatshirt and baggy pants to the event and you will still catch my eyes," he said, looking at me with soft eyes. "Too bad there's a dress code. It's okay. I don't have anything to wear as well. We can buy clothes together after your activity. I'll pick you up. Don't worry. Bill's on me. After all, I'm the one inviting you," he said.

"But--"

"Please?"

I took a deep breath. Stop acting hard to get! My subconscious chastised. This was your dream! Any girl would trade all their expensive bags and high heels just to wear your rubber shoes right now!

"Okay," I said in a small voice, managing a faint smile although inside my head, a voice was chanting 'oh my freaking goodness pwede na akong mamatay!' 

He smiled widely. "Thank you! I promise you'll have a wonderful night."

I managed a small smile, a permanent blush in my cheeks. I couldn't believe what was happening. I'm going to the varsity night as Justice's date! Oh my God!

"So you're going." a familiar voice said. It wasn't a question. It was a statement. I stiffened. That voice was too familiar.

"Yes she is," Justice answered for me. "You're not, right?" he asked. Exactly how Justice knew that Number 29 decided not to go, I had no idea. I didn't pay much attention to it, though.

I finally gathered the courage to look behind me, at Number 29. He was looking straight at Justice, his face was expressionless. I looked behind him, expecting to see his girlfriend. Francine was nowhere to be found.

Number 29's expression was unreadable as he regarded Justice with steady eyes. Justice smiled faintly, matching Number 29's gaze.

In a monotone voice, Number 29 answered, "I wasn't--"

"Hey where's Francine?" I managed to ask, cutting him off. I was genuinely curious.

The two ignored me.

"--but now I have to."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram